My name is Wen-Hao Lue, and I’m a Software
Engineer with a passion for engineering and
design. I really enjoy creating things, and shipping my
projects out to the world. I use zsh, tmux, and vim for my day to day work.
You can visit my website for some
details on my current and past endeavours. You can also find me on Twitter, GitHub, and LinkedIn. My
email is [email protected].
Deep knowledge in developing iOS applications, large
contribution and leadership for many apps that can be downloaded in the
I understand both front and back end design from small to large scale
websites. At Twitter, I wrote real-time map reduce jobs
and distributed services in Scala.
Deep emphasis on usability, user interaction, and visual design in the
products I create. I understand what works, and what doesn’t work.
- Objective-C/Swift –
Work on Square Register, Mixbox, Mantaphrase, PonyDebugger, and many
React, Flux, Node, d3, CoffeeScript, webpack
- Scala/Java – Work on Algebird, distributed
services at Twitter, course work, and personal experience.
- C/C++ –
programming competitions, personal projects/game development.
- Other Languages –
Python, Ruby, PHP, Assembly
- Technology –
Django, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Hadoop/HDFS, Storm, Thrift, Protobufs,
MapReduce (Scalding/Summingbird), Ansible, Redis, Vagrant, Amazon AWS
Sesame HQ, Inc, Kitchener, Ontario
August 2014 – present
Twitter, Inc, Cambridge, Massachusetts
September 2013 – December 2013
Worked at the Crashlytics team (now known as Fabric), front-end for Answers
Interactive data visualization using d3, Backbone, CoffeeScript, and Rails.
Twitter, Inc, San Francisco, California,
January 2013 – April 2013
On the Syndication team, responsible for services such as embedded tweets
and Apache Mesos. Also wrote some monads.
Square, Inc, San Francisco, California,
April 2012 – August 2012
- Worked on features for Square Register, a point-of-sale application for the iPad. Specifically worked on in-app merchant analytic reporting and graph visualizations.
- Open sourced PonyDebugger, a remote debugging toolset that allows developers to use Chrome Developer Tools for native iOS applications. (blog post)
iOS Engineer, Glooko Inc, Palo Alto, California, August 2011 – December 2011 (glooko.com)
- Developed Glooko Logbook, an iPhone application that allows diabetics to download blood glucose
readings to their iPhone to help manage their diabetes, available on the App Store.
Agile Engineer, Xtreme Labs, Toronto, Ontario, May 2010 – August 2010, January 2011 – April 2011
- Developed an iPhone application that connects to fitness machines, allowing user to track
workouts and record runs using the GPS.
- Received Outstanding reviews for large contributions and leadership to projects.
Software Developer, System Apex Inc., Toronto, Ontario, Sept 2008 – Nov 2009
- iOS development for a video game in Objective-C using cocos2d.
- Ported sections of a Ruby on Rails website and MySQL database to use WordPress themes.
Mantaphrase (mobile application),
January 2012 – present
- Developing an iPhone application to help travellers communicate with people in a foreign language.
- Winner for Velocity Demo Day Best Pitch Award, winning
- Finalist for Velocity Venture Fund, a $25,000 competition for funding a start-up company.
CODENAME: Portal (video game), April 2007 (wenhaolue.com/projects/codenameportal)
- 2D physics sidescroller game, spinoff of the popular Valve series “Portal”. Developed in C++ using SDL.
Candidate for Bachelor of Software Engineering, Co-operative Program, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Sept 2009 – present
Ontario Secondary School Diploma, Bayview Glen Private School, Toronto, Ontario, June 2009
Activities & Interests
- Passionate jazz musician, playing drums for 9 years in various groups such as the Toronto JAZZ.FM91 Youth Big Band, and Toronto Youth Wind Orchestra
- Project Euler, Canadian Computing Competition (Top 25%), and the Educational Computing Organization of Ontario (ECOO) computing competition (team invited to finals)
- Enjoy pixel art, sketching, design philosophy, sci-fi and anime
- Hearthstone and StarCraft 2 fan/player